Dr Marius specialises in a range of gastroenterological conditions including inflammatory bowel, irritable bowel, liver, biliary, pancreatic, gastric and intestinal disorders. He believes in empowering the patient with the knowledge about their condition, fixing the underlying cause if possible and creating a personalised treatment plan. He is experienced in minimally invasive endoscopic procedures including gastroscopy, colonoscopy, endoscopic ultrasound, spyglass and ERCP. With the implementation of new endoscopic techniques to treat pancreatic collection, 3 peoples lives were saved, 2 months of ICU time saved and resulted in large cost savings for WDHB in less than 1 year's time. marius van Rijnsoever
Dr Marius graduated from Notre Dame medical school in Fremantle Australia and completed his gastroenterology training at Fremantle hospital, Royal Perth Hospital, Fiona Stanley hospital and the Sir Charles Gairdner liver transplant unit, as well as an advanced interventional endoscopy fellowship at Waitemata DHB. Prior to studying medicine, he focussed on translational research to improve the outcome of cancer patients while working in the Netherlands, Western Australia and Los Angeles America. His research is focused on improving outcomes for cancer patients.
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (2017)
- Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery (2009) Notre Dame Perth
- Master of Medical Science with top 5% distinction (2002) University of Western Australia
- Bachelor of Science with honours (2001) Netherlands
Dr Marius has received many awards for his dedication to patient care and original research
- 2000 - VSB scholarship for Medical Research, Netherlands
- 2001 - Young Investigator Enc Award, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth
- 2002 - Young Investigator Enc Award, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth
- 2008 - Academic and Service Excellence Award University of Notre Dame and RACGP Perth
- 2010 - GP communication award Fremantle Hospital, Perth
- 2013 – Research Foundation Award Fremantle Hospital, Perth
- 2017 - New Zealand Society of Gastroenterologist Janssen Research Fellowship
- Van Rijnsoever M, Grieu F, Elsaleh H, Joseph D, Iacopetta B. Characterisation of colorectal cancers showing hypermethylation at multiple CpG islands. Gut. 2002 Dec;51(6):797802.
- Wang C#, van Rijnsoever M#, Grieu F, Bydder B, Elsaleh H, Joseph D, Harvey J, Iacopetta B. Prognostic Significance of Microsatellite Instability and Kiras Mutation Type in Stage II Colorectal Cancer. Oncology. 2003;64(3):25965. #:These authors contributed equally to the work
- Van Rijnsoever M, Elsaleh H, Iacopetta B. Microsatellite Instability in Colorectal Cancer: Prognostic, Predictive or Both? Am J Pathol 2002;160(1):3846.
- Van Rijnsoever M, Elsaleh M, McCaul M, Joseph D, Iacopetta B. CpG island methylator phenotype is an independent predictor of survival benefit from 5fluorouracil in stage III colorectal cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2003 Aug 1;9(8):2898903.
- Van Rijnsoever M, Molecular profiles of colorectal cancer and its predictive value of survival benefit from 5FU chemotherapy. Master Thesis UWA 2003
- Bui QC, Lieber M, Withers HR, Corson K, van Rijnsoever M, Elsaleh H. The efficacy of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in the treatment of radiationinduced late side effects. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004 Nov 1;60(3):8718.
- Farrell JJ, Van Rijnsoever M, Elsaleh H. Early detection markers in Pancreas Cancer. Disease Markers 2005 ; 21:119.
- S. Hazeldine, M. Van Rijnsoever, P. Bentley, J. Olynyk. The effect of C282Y homozygosity on full blood count indices. BSG poster Annual meeting Glasgow 2013
- van Rijnsoever M, Galhenage S, Mollison L, Gummer J, Trengove R, Olynyk JK. Dysregulated Erythropoietin, Hepcidin, and Bone Marrow Iron Metabolism Contribute to Interferon-Induced Anemia in Hepatitis C. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2016 Nov;36(11):630-634.
I am passionate about education outside my work as well. For the last 3 years I have run the "spaceteddy" project at Forrest Hill primary school. By sending a teddy bear into near space, the children learn about science, environment as well as computer programming. I am also the reigning NZ masters latin dance champion with my wife in zouk and salsa.